Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Tragedy of a Third World Designer

I almost choked on my croissant while browsing style.com!

What are the chances of me and a first world, Paris-showing designer having somewhat the same idea - details, concept and all?

What are the odds that Gareth Pugh would show for spring/summer 2009 his love for pleats and having all his clothes with black colored back and a lighter color on the front, same as mine?

I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse.

See Gareth Pugh:

See one sample of my pants for spring/summer 2009:

It's the same pleat detail and all black back!

I know for a fact that I didn't copy him since I've formulated my own concept way before his Paris presentation. I can't help but be slightly irked though because let's be real, some Filipino designers back home do copy other designers. I'm slightly worried people might think I did copy Gareth Pugh. Ugh! I don't even like his designs.

Well, sorry for the rant. I just have to go on with what I've started because frankly I don't have time to revise it and also because I've submitted already my concept and drawings to the organizers of Philippine Fashion Week.

Bahala na si Batman.

11 comments:

kawadjan said...

ay harsh!
my gawd, gareth seems to be reading your blog ha.

Lyka Bergen said...

i agree with Kawadjan. kalokah itoh! Next time, dont share your concepts at baka ma-kopya ko pa. Chos!

[G] said...

visionary ka talaga donita! your designs are two seasons ahead of everyone's.

hay, dont post your concepts na muna. post mo sila after the fashion week.

ps stop eating croissant. carbs and fats! chos!

Anonymous said...

hello... miss gwendolyn,

dyosko ko naman kasi... popular kaya ang blogtsina mo... pati sketch nang designs mo nilagay mo pa ( i read your blogtsina from head to toe ) at nagkaroon sya nang format na parang the making of your coming collection... at nagkataon na merong lazyjohn galing firstworld na nagbasa nang iyong superlative at superlative na blogtsina...

ayun copyas nya...

sigh...

Sabi nga nang titser kung sosyal sa privadong school ko...

"finish or not finish pass your paper...

of course i pass my paper...


sya...

your beutiful ( don't correct my spelling ) friend,

Bubbles Cojuangco

mwahhh....

fuchsiaboy said...

salamat guys sa support. knowing that i have friends here makes it all lighter and bearable for me.

kawadjan - ang harsh nga!

lyka - i dont mind na ako ang makopya wag lang na sabihin nila na kinopya ko si gareth pugh. ugh! si martin margiela pa ok ako na kopyahin.

gibo - wala na po akong kinakain kundi croissant lang. di naman siguro ako aabot sa patis at cartolina diet ni kawadjan. pang masa yun uy.

bubbles - bubbles, bubbles, bubbles. how do you solve the problem like bubbles? how do catch a cloud and pin it down? how do solve the problem like bubbles?

mrs.j said...

omg!

kaloka?!

naku neng anu ng action na gagawin mo! sugurin na sia!

the spool artist said...

oh my gulay talaga! sana inuna ang phil fashion week para ma-prove na ginaya ka!

the boomerang kid said...

kakalokah itoh, grabeh!

of course, mahirap patunayan na may kopyahan ngang naganap... at yes, numero unong dautera nga ang mga tao sa pinas at di malayo na pagbintangan ka nilang fashion plagiarist...

as a reader of your blog... you have my support...

i think you need to carefully the screen the things you want to show in this blog... just as a precautionary measure...

fuchsiaboy said...

don't care na guys.

what's important is that i know i'm not a copycat designer whether people believe me or not.

thanks sa support! :)

Anonymous said...

Excuse me? WTF?!

Don't flatter yerself too much. It's just silly to assume that much.

Gareth Pugh and all the other international designers have their designs ready by at least a year in advance.

Hence, Mr. Pugh has been cooking up his Spring/Summer 2009 collection since before his Spring/Summer 2008 collection came out.

fuchsiaboy said...

monochromator - what did i assume? are you sure you've read my post correctly? gareth pugh could prepare his designs one year or even two years for all i care. my concern is that my buyers might think i copied him and would put me in a very bad light given i'm just a third world designer. if they think i just copied what mr. pugh cooked up a year then i assume it wouldn't be so hot at all. if they don't buy what will i do with my collection? i guess you wouldn't understand. so don't assume you've figured it out.

but thanks for the comment anyway.