Friday, January 06, 2012

My Christmas Costume

I thought black would be so usual for a sit-down concert dinner so I opted to wear blue. When I inspect my clothes I don't see a lot of electric blue although it's one of my favorite colors. I do see a lot of red and I think it's funny coz I don't often wear red. Anyway, I designed this suit because I wanted to promote my latest designs for Poetry. I'm using a lot of the same linen material for that collection. The shape of the jacket is a classic pattern I've used before. It's unlined and not padded because I don't think it's sensible to have in a tropical climate. Much of the stuff I'm interested now when I'm designing is how to deconstruct traditional forms of construction to suit the weather. I'm much more drawn to how it's made rather than how it looks. So, lately I've been going back to my old patterns and testing it out in different fabrics and finishings. The pants is a new pattern we call Agra because it reminds me of Indian pants. You can't see it in the picture but we added pockets on the side based on Christopher Nemeth's design detail. I love Nemeth and I hope to collect more of his designs now that he has passed away. I wore the suit with a vintage Helmut Lang mesh shirt and gold DM's by Raf Simons. I don't look drearily formal but I think the holiday mood calls for something festive and light.

No comments: