Saturday, December 15, 2012

Demeulemeester

                
 
 
Growing up there had been two contemporary designer that influenced my thinking about modern fashion. One, of course, is my ultimate favorite, Helmut Lang. I can go on and on waxing lyrical text of how much his ideas shaped what I perceive as fashion. The other one is Ann Demeulemeester. Before I embraced Margiela, Comme des Garcons, Yohji Yamamoto, Dries Van Noten, and the rest of my designer heroes, there was Helmut and Ann. The 90's experienced the pared down aesthetic of minimalism and I remember seeing Ann's collection for fall/winter 1993 in a magazine at this small boutique in Iloilo. My mind was blown away! I was intrigued and got fascinated with this new vision I'm seeing. I've seen my mom and aunts dressing in prints, shoulder pads and loud colors all my life and here is a new proposition extolling a pared-down aesthetic in muted and dark colors. Dressing in all-black became a new form of rebellion! And nobody knew them or could even pronounce their names. It's so far away from the preppy style my cousins and friends like. I discovered that clothes can express a certain point of view and it has power to make people react. I love the asymmetry and certain slouchiness in Ann's clothes. Like Helmut, Ann's clothes can be deceptively simple and reveals its genius once worn. The printed Ann Demeulemeester tee I'm wearing is cut with the asymmetry in place. Those clever details always get me excited!
 
top - Ann Demeulemeester tee + DP tank, bottom - Uniqlo, shoes - DP gladiators, accessories - horn cuff

No comments: